Top 10 AAM (AIR TO AIR MISSILE) 2020
An air-to-air missile (AAM) is a missile fired from an aircraft for the purpose of destroying another aircraft. AAMs are typically powered by one or more rocket motors, usually solid fueled but sometimes liquid-fueled. Ramjet engines, as used on the Meteor (missile), are emerging as propulsion that will enable future medium-range missiles to maintain higher average speed across their engagement envelope.
Air-to-air missiles are broadly put in two groups. Those designed to engage opposing aircraft at ranges of less than 30 km are known as short-range or "within visual range" missiles (SRAAMs or WVRAAMs) and are sometimes called "dogfight" missiles because they are designed to optimize their agility rather than a range.
Most use infrared guidance and are called heat-seeking missiles.
In contrast, medium- or long-range missiles (MRAAMs or LRAAMs), which both fall under the category of beyond visual range missiles (BVRAAMs), tend to rely upon radar guidance, of which there are many forms. Some modern ones use inertial guidance and/or "mid-course updates" to get the missile close enough to use an active homing sensor. The concepts of air-to-air missiles and surface-to-air missiles are very closely related, and in some cases, versions of the same weapon may be used for both roles, such as the ASRAAM and Sea Ceptor.
Here is the top 10 AAM OR AIR TO AIR beyond visual range Missile .
- METEOR(COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: EUROPEAN UNION)
Meteor is a next generation, active radar-guided, beyond visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) system. The missile is being developed by MBDA Systems for six European nations.The Meteor BVRAAM can be integrated on Eurofighter Typhoon, Saab Gripen and Dassault Rafale aircraft. The Meteor missile can also be installed on Lockheed Martin’s F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF).
- IRIS-T( COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: GERMANY) IRIS-T (infra-red imaging system – tail / thrust vector controlled) is an air-to-air guided missile manufactured by Diehl BGT Defence as part of a Germany-led multinational programme. The missile is intended to replace AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles used by the Nato member countries.
- MICA(COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: FRANCE)Missile d’Interception, de Combat et d’Autodéfense (MICA) is a solid propellant-fuelled, multi-mission, air-to-air missile that can be integrated onto medium-to-lightweight, modern multi-role combat aircraft such as Rafale and the improved versions of Mirage 2000-5 single-engine fighter aircraft.MICA is available in two versions, MICA IR (infrared) and MICA RF (radio frequency)
- ASTRA(COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: INDIA)Astra is an all-weather, day and night missile capable of flying at Mach 4.5, which is more than four times the speed of sound.It has a strike range of approximately 100km and will replace Russian, French and Israeli BVRAAMs equipped on the Indian Air Force (IAF) fighter jets.
- PYTHON-5(COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: ISRAEL)Python-5 air-to-air missiles (AAM) can be launched against airborne targets from very short range and near beyond visual range.
- AIM-120AMRAAM(COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:USA)AIM-120 advanced medium-range air-to-air missile (AMRAAM) is a new generation all-weather, missile manufactured by Raytheon. The AMRAAM is in service with the US Air Force (USAF), US Navy (USN), and US-allied nations.The AMRAAM has been delivered to more than 36 countries. The missile has completed over 1.8 million captive-carry hours and 2,900 live firings. It is integrated with combat aircraft such as the F-15, F-16, F/A-18, F-22, Typhoon, Gripen, Tornado, Harrier, F-4, and the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.
- AIM-9X-SIDEWINDER(COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:USA)AIM-9X belongs to the family of AIM-9 Sidewinder short-range missiles produced by Raytheon. It is an infrared air-to-air missile primarily developed for the US Air Force and the US Navy.The AIM-9X Sidewinder missile is currently in service with more than 24 countries worldwide.
- AIM-132-ASRAAM(COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:UK/US) The AIM-132 ASRAAM is a high speed, highly manoeuvrable, heat-seeking, air-to-air missile. Built by MBDA UK Ltd, the missile is designed as a ‘fire-and-forget’ weapon, able to counter intermittent target obscuration in cloud as well as sophisticated infrared (IR) countermeasures.It equips Typhoon and Tornado, and will be integrated with the UK’s F-35’s as a baseline weapon.
- DERBY(COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:ISRAEL)Derby (Alto) is a beyond visual range (BVR) air-to-air missile (AAM) developed by Israeli defence company Rafael Advanced Defense Systems to meet the combat needs of the armed forces.
- R77(COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: RUSSIA)The Russian R-77 (RVV-AE) Missile is a medium range, air-to-air, active radar-guided missile system. It is the Russian counterpart to the American AIM-120 AMRAAM missile.